GOT themes music

Friday, September 25, 2015

Bawarchi Shabbir - Meh!

Bawarchi Shabbir 

At the whites road junction (coming from Sathyam parking gate),  if you take left you reach Sathyam Cinemas, Take the right and this is the 2nd building

Moment I saw a post on FB about a new Hyderabadi biryani place in the city, I couldn't wait to visit it. Shabbir should have been so popular that his name features part of the name board. As we drove down,  I was restless thinking what if it is jam-packed?, what if  I don't get it today? what if the biryani gets exhausted? etc (such is my love for Hyderabadi biryani - have lived on it literally my 6 years in HYD). And you know how it is to miss your fav food living in another city (you long for every possible opportunity to get a sight, a whiff, or a morsel of it ). I was also happy thinking that there is going to be stiff competition to Charminar Gopalapuram. And, I seriously wished they win but alas...
Ambiance: A small place accomodating about 6 tables (~24 seater) One of the walls had the iconic Charminar painted beautifully for photo moments, comfortable seating, and fresh cutlery.

Menu: A small slate with handwritten menu is handed over to you. There is always fun finding mistakes (I repeat that I ain't a grammar police or perfect) when you are trying to order or waiting for your food to arrive,  these things catch your eye and makes up for some entertainment
The guy who wrote this must be a huge "Mohun bagan" fan to write "baingan" this way
Chicken koruma - Chicken ku oru MA - saridhaan
and pullover for some Puloa
and finally Kacchi (raw) is Kaachi (enatha kaachi?)

Food:
Mirchi ka salan and raitha: Salan was thick and tasted good compared to the ones I have had in and around Chennai and raitha was yumm too.
Biryanis chic 160/- and mutton 180/-: The one with the half egg is chicken biryani and the other two are mutton. It wasn't tasting any better than plain rice and I asked for them to serve me some masala and the little cup he brought again didn't have any. The shahjira, cinnamon, cardamom blend to give it that divine flavor which was missing.
I then realized that it tasted and looked familiar. It struck me that it was the same biryani that I had in Mana Andhra - disaster part I and now I am served part II under a different banner. All that enthusiasm, the craving fizzled out like an un-tied gas balloon

Service: Was very attentive, informative, and courteous and he was the one who burst the bubble about OCBL owning both this and others :(

Dum ka murgh 120/- : This tasted good but there were only 4 bony pieces leading to another heart-burn of a portion
Chicken 65 125/-: Never in my entire life or my days in Hyderabad have I found 65 with bones (4 pieces).  This was not even close to what it should be. The ubiquitous chillies, garlic, the tangy sauce were all a miss

Bill: It might look deceiving but it is expensive considering the portions. A smart marketing gimmick
Finally, the bakras and the bakr"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"d moment. We wanted to camouflage our disappointment in that fake smile. We didn't dare to order desserts and get disappointed again knowing well they cost 95/- per plate.
None of us could bear the bad experience and didn't want to go home unsatisfied. I quickly called up Charminar Gopalalpuram and asked for 3 double-masala mutton biryani. Took a parcel and reached the beach to enjoy it. Worth every penny and yes, they are a saving grace

To top it was the yummy, creamy malai kulfi with a bit of chocolate, cashew, almond and raisin on it. Heavenly!!! Spot this man opp. Vivekanandar Illam/Titanic fast food. He has been in business for 33 years and consistent in quality and taste


3 comments:

  1. Love to read the reviews...keep going! when in town next we only go to the good places!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kiran...very well written blog....I really don`t see any bias.....as a foodie, you exactly write about the food as it is....keep up date...to all Chennai food lovers...and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Alton and Nagesh for your appreciation

    ReplyDelete